Learn our story, from the beginning and into the future.
Ever since we opened our doors we have approached life (and death) differently. While some just see the end of a loved one’s life as a time for grief and mourning, we prefer to think of it as a time for reflection, appreciation and even celebration. This is evident in everything we do, from the way we conduct our services to the amenities we choose to offer. We are a close knit community dedicated to honoring, sharing and preserving the amazing and inspirational stories that are life.
Shackelford Funeral Directors began operation in Savannah, Tennessee, in October of 1926 with the opening of a funeral home by Robert Earnest and Loura Paisley Shackelford.
Robert Paisley Shackelford, Sr., the only child of R. E. and Loura, married the former Kathryne Hall and together they moved from Savannah to Bolivar, Tennessee, opening the second Shackelford Funeral Home in 1932.
The Shackelfords purchased Gooch Funeral Home in Selmer in August of 1945.
During the early part of 1983, the funeral and cemetery operations of the Barnett family were purchased in Wayne County
Johnson Funeral Home and Casey Funeral Home in Henderson, Tennessee, were added to the Shackelford organization in 1990 and 1991, respectively.
The Shackelfords opened Shackelford Pet Services. Their goal was to provide the same level of care that they have shown families all over West Tennessee for so many years to a group of people who have been neglected up to this point: pet owners.
Shackelford Funeral Directors adds an on-site crematory which allows us to ensure your loved one never leaves our care.
Learn the legacy.
Shackelford Funeral Directors began operation in Savannah, Tennessee, in October of 1926 with the opening of a funeral home by Robert Earnest and Loura Paisley Shackelford. The only funeral home in Hardin County, it was located in a store building in downtown Savannah, approximately one-half block east of the courthouse on the south side of Main Street. The following year, the Shackelford Burial Association was established. This effort to provide a low cost means of paying for funerals benefited both the public and the funeral director and proved extremely successful.
Robert Paisley Shackelford, Sr., the only child of R. E. and Loura, married the former Kathryne Hall and together they moved from Savannah to Bolivar, Tennessee, opening the second Shackelford Funeral Home in 1932. At that time, there were six other establishments in the county that furnished funeral merchandise.
The business which was located in a building on the south side of court square, moved to the east side in 1934. They moved to their present facility on Mecklenburg Drive in 1964. As active in the business as was her husband, Kathryne worked in the Bolivar office until her sudden death in 1961. R. P., Sr., known to his friends as Paisley, remained active in the firm until his death in January 1977. At that time, his younger son, Don Hall Shackelford became the manager, a position he held until his sudden death on December 31, 2000. The present manager is Don's son, Jeff.
The Shackelfords purchased Gooch Funeral Home in Selmer in August of 1945. That purchase included the assets of the McNairy County and Citizens Burial Associations. Several people oversaw the operation of the Selmer firm until Joe Ebb Wyatt was named manager in 1959. The present facility was built and occupied in 1972. Joe Ebb served as manager in Selmer until his death at which time Robert Paisley Shackelford, III, accepted the position.
During the early part of 1983, the funeral and cemetery operations of the Barnett family were purchased in Wayne County. Included in the purchase were two cemeteries, one located near Waynesboro and the other near Collinwood, and two funeral homes, one northwest of the court square in Waynesboro and the other at the cemetery south of Collinwood on Highway 13, as well as three mutual burial associations. Roger Balentine serves as manager of the Wayne County operations.
Johnson Funeral Home and Casey Funeral Home in Henderson, Tennessee, were added to the Shackelford organization in 1990 and 1991, respectively. In January, 2008, the names of the businesses were changed to Shackelford Funeral Directors of Henderson – Johnson Chapel and Shackelford Funeral Directors of Henderson – Casey Chapel. The Johnson Chapel is located on Highway 100 while the Casey Chapel is located on Crook Avenue. At one time, both businesses shared office space in Henderson Office Supply on Main Street in Henderson. In 2007, the business offices were moved to the Crook Avenue location. Later in 2017, all primary business operations were moved to our Henderson - Casey Chapel location. However, our Johnson Chapel still remains a great option for families to have services at. Both locations are managed by Tony Hysmith.
In 1977, The Shackelford Corporation was formed to serve as a holding company for the other businesses. Claire Shackelford, President; Lisa Shackelford Thomas, Vice President; Jeffery H. Shackelford, Secretary; Robert P. Shackelford III, Treasurer. Also serving on the Board of Directors are: Dorcas P. (Dea) Shackelford, Alison V. Shackelford, Kandy T. Shackelford, and Joe E. Thomas. For five generations, members of the Shackelford family have dedicated themselves in service to their communities--a tradition they hope to continue for generations to come.
Explore Our Locations
See where we are and find the place that best meet your needs.
Shackelford Funeral Directors of Bolivar
109 Mecklinburg Drive, P. O. Box 232, Bolivar, TN 38008
Shackelford Funeral Directors of Henderson
304 Crook Avenue, P. O. Box 66, Henderson, TN 38340
Shackelford Funeral Directors of Savannah
450 Church Street, P. O. Box 1027, Savannah, TN 38372
Shackelford Funeral Directors of Selmer
160 West Cypress Avenue, P. O. Box 309, Selmer, TN 38375
Shackelford Funeral Directors of Wayne County
104 West Hill Street, P. O. Box 218, Waynesboro, TN 38485